At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Toronto is on the lookout for talented Animators who possess a passion for populating the ambient human characters of our open world game. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Oakville, Ontario.
WHAT WE DO
- We create open-world gameplay mechanics that are used to make immersive experiences.
- We work as a global animation team to collaborate on player experiences.
- We use our onsite motion capture facilities to prototype new systems, directing talent and fine-tuning the results with code and design.
- We participate in multi-discipline gameplay reviews, ensuring animation data is responsive and implemented with a strong consideration of technical and gameplay constraints.
- We encourage ownership and creativity where everyone’s voice is heard.
- Animators work closely with multiple departments to devise, implement, and debug animation systems and gameplay mechanics.
- Collaborate with the Animation, Code and Design Leads, to achieve the perfect balance between animation fidelity and gameplay responsiveness.
- Verify the quality of the animations integrated into the game by playing regularly.
- Contribute to the set-up and maintenance of the animation pipeline and be proactive with its improvement.
- Troubleshoot and provide solutions to problems in both core animation systems and developing tech.
- Assist with motion capture shoots.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art/Animation or equivalent experience.
- Outstanding demo reel demonstrating experience working with Gameplay systems.
- An understanding of a major animation package (eg Maya, Motionbuilder, etc).
- Positive, solution-orientated individual, with a deep-rooted interest in video games, and game development.
- Experience debugging and developing complex animation systems.
- Ability to animate the human figure to create realistic character animations.
- Understanding of development issues in getting animations into a game.
- Ability to bring innovation and resolution to technical problems and challenges throughout production.
- Demonstrated experience setting up production pipelines, while being able to follow guidelines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to collaborate with other teams.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Practical knowledge of programming languages (Python, C# / C++, etc.).
- Practical experience using parametric blend spaces, motion trees or state machines.
- Knowledge of commercial game engines such as Unity or Unreal Engine.
- Experience using MotionBuilder and working with motion capture data.
- Professional experience developing third-person action games.
- Willingness to travel to our other global studios.
- AAA experience a plus.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is committed to creating a work environment that promotes equal opportunity, dignity and respect. In line with this commitment, Rockstar will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities (or on the basis of any other protected ground under human rights legislation) during the recruitment process, as well as to any Rockstar employees in order for them to perform the essential functions of their roles. Rockstar will comply with its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and will provide accommodations as long as such accommodations do not pose an undue hardship on Rockstar. If you need more information about Rockstar’s accommodation policies or process, or need to request an accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, race, or any other protected category.