Research Scientists at Riot combine their wide technical expertise across data processing, automation, machine learning ("ML"), artificial intelligence ("AI"), and experimental design to inform decisions and develop robust research prototypes and inform data powered products.
The Technology Research team performs applied research to accelerate the pace of building amazing player experiences at Riot Games. As a Staff Research Scientist focused on content, you’ll contribute to a research team who is looking to improve the pace at which we generate content for future Riot titles. We work closely with these teams to understand their content pipelines, where the pain points exist, and how research can improve their quality of life. To this end, your team will track the latest research in relevant areas, work closely with teams to prioritize the most promising research, build prototypes to highlight the value of the research, and in certain cases partner with game teams to create robust and efficient production versions of your prototypes.
- Propose, implement, and evaluate new algorithms that expand our content generation capabilities (examples include: diffusion models, sketch to model, and dynamic ML driven animation).
- Work closely with game designers, engineers, and leadership to understand their needs and gather datasets, build prototypes, and look for innovative ways to leverage generative models for game development.
- Stay up to date on the latest academic advances & industry trends within your area of specialization.
- Inform and manage stakeholders on game teams
- Ph.D. in Machine Learning, AI, Statistics, Math, or related Computer Science/Quantitative field, or equivalent experience (i.e., M.Sc. with 3+ years of relevant experience, or B.Sc. with 6+ years of relevant experience, etc.)
- 2+ years experience in deep learning or algorithmic foundations of optimization
- Proficiency in C, C++, or Python
- Expertise with Tensorflow or Pytorch
- Experience with computer vision and/or content focused models
- Kubernetes, Docker, Databricks, SQL, Redis
- Distributed computing systems design
- C++, Unreal Engine
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about players' experiences, this could be your role!
Riot focuses on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy and other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.