Riot builds genre defining games and people love to play them, but for some people their experience is marred by social interactions from other players. It is often the top reason people leave the game they love to play. Central Player Dynamics is on a mission to foster awesome player-to-player experiences and eliminate the impact of disruptive behavior by empowering players to have the experience they want to have. In addition to that, we will be enhancing the pro-social area as well to provide an even more engaging environment.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Central Player Dynamics team, you'll work with other engineers from within and outside the team, game designers, product managers, and data scientists to create web services and solutions in a game-agnostic way to help Riot’s existing and future game portfolio in an efficient and scalable manner.
- Design and Develop features in backend web services for the evaluation of various social inputs (text, voice), transgression progression determination and ramifications, and integration with game teams and services for appropriate moderation in multiple player experience flows.
- Create high-quality software and validate it by writing unit, functional, and integration tests. Ensure the team is adhering to engineering excellence standards.
- Partner with product, game design, and data scientists to create the best possible experience for both players and game developers by providing clear insight into technical requirements and limitations.
- Interface with other teams within Player Platform and Game Teams to validate team designs and review other team’s designs that integrate with or affect CPD systems. Collaborate on solutions that serve the greater Riot ecosystem.
- Mentor other engineers and guide and influence teammates in software design principles and ramifications.
- Be a champion for CPD engineering for Player Platform and Riot-wide engineering efforts
- Be on rotational on-call for live product support.
- Take the lead in technical phone screens and onsite panels to vet other engineers for hiring
- 6+ years of related industry experience
- Expertise with Java. Strong experience with data persistence such as SQL/mySQL, noSQL DB, or other database and memory cache stores.
- Experience designing architectures for large distributed systems comprising multiple services while maintaining high throughput and scale.
- Experience developing large product features across all phases of the development lifecycle, including gathering requirements, design and implementation, testing, deploying, and maintaining. Have broken down the a project into smaller work items, and have lead the development across multiple contributors
- Experience as a tech lead or equivalent role, helping grow other engineers and fostering an inclusive team culture, and improved the team’s engineering practices and processes
- Experience with Python
- Working experience with cloud services
- Experience with large datastores such as Databricks, data analysis, and streaming data technologies such as Kafka, Kinesis
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.