Riot Games was founded in 2006 by Brandon Beck and Marc Merrill with the intent to change the way video games are made and supported for players. In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends to worldwide acclaim. The game has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world and a key driver of the explosive growth of esports. Players are the foundation of our community and it’s for them we continue to evolve and improve the League of Legends experience. Riot Games is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and has 23 offices worldwide.
The Return to Service team at Riot is dedicated to enhancing the operational uptime of our games, this team is tasked with swiftly identifying and resolving infrastructure and system-level incidents to ensure a rapid restoration of service across our core game operations globally.
As the Senior Engineering Manager for the team, you will be instrumental in leading a team dedicated to immediate and effective incident response. Your responsibilities include mentoring and developing the team, fostering an environment of rapid problem-solving, and building enduring trust with key stakeholders across different organizations. Your focus will be on driving initiatives that enhance our service recovery processes, you’ll be partnering and coordinating with technical leads across Riot ironing out overlooked details that matter, and ensuring our games are always up and running for players around the world.
You’re right for this role if the idea of growing a new kind of team at Riot and mentoring engineers to succeed excites you. You understand how to take ambiguous goals and make them measurable and actionable. You love building iterative approaches to problems and know how to compromise between ideal solutions and practical outcomes. You believe that just because things are hard doesn’t mean they aren’t worth doing.
- Manage and grow a globally distributed team of software engineering team, and a Service Reliability Specialists team
- Be the engineering lead for a Site Reliability focused organization (roughly 30 engineers and non-engineers)
- Support the Live Operations Site Reliability organization as they establish Riot-wide standards and collaborate with dozens of service teams to ensure aligned results
- Ensure the right organizational Tech Leadership is collaborating
- Develop and maintain key performance goals for the team
- Evolve the skills makeup of the team over time to meet Riot’s reliability requirements, including designing growth plans for junior engineers
- Performance manage and motivate engineers on the team
- Participate in and design quarterly planning and annual strategic planning objectives
- Align and coordinate with your multi-discipline peers in Live Operations (Game Operations, Live Production, Program and Problem Management)
- Support your team as an escalation point for On-call
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field or relevant professional experience
- 2-6 Years experience in performance managing engineers including hiring and performance assessments
- Demonstrated experience growing engineers in their careers
- Demonstrated ability to work across multiple organizations and generate alignment on technical standards
- Experience observing and monitoring large-scale production services, especially micro-services
- Ability to travel to Dublin/Singapore a minimum of 10% of a year.
- 2+ Years working in a high performance Site Reliability capacity
- Experience with designing, prioritizing, and maintaining high-capacity, high-availability, and high-performant software, especially back-end services
- Familiarity with Site Reliability best practices
- Demonstrated experience working in container-based ecosystems and with a container scheduler (e.g. Marathon, Mesos, Kubernetes, GKE, Amazon ECS)
- Experience with distributed systems, specifically microservices
- Experience with API design, preferably using REST
- Understand networking - HTTP down to the network layer (TCP/IP, routing, etc)
- Understand relational databases like MySQL
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, ideally Jenkins
- Understand software performance and influence latency in online games
- Experience with AWS (or comparable cloud environments)
- Fluency in Mandarin
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes your fellow Rioters, who are the customers of your work. Being a dedicated fan of games is not necessary for this position!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code and Community Code. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming.