Get to know The Pokémon Company International
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
Learn more online at corporate.pokemon.com and pokemon.com. And check out Twitter (twitter.com/pokemon), LinkedIn (linkedin.com/company/Pokémon), YouTube (youtube.com/pokemon), and Instagram (instagram.com/pokemon).
Get to know the role
- Job Title: Pokémon Center Merchandise Development Specialist (Special Projects)
- Job Summary: The Pokémon Center Merchandise Development division of The Pokémon Company International (TPCi) is the team that develops products for all TPCi Pokémon Center channels. This team is also tasked with assuring that all Pokémon Center products are created accurately and true to the rules and vision of the Pokémon brand while maintaining the highest level of quality possible. This position will be responsible for creating and managing creative direction and product intent for new Pokémon Center merchandise for the special projects including events and the pet category. This position will work cross-functionally with internal partners, managing key aspects of development that relate to brand tie-ins. The role will support categories that are diverse in focus by creating briefs, giving direction on new products, directing quality of products, and ensuring products meet or exceed customer expectations. Product and product line development experience, knowledge of how to apply brand guidelines, attention to detail, communication, critical thinking, and ability to build strong relationships are vital to this role. Experience with pitching product lines to varying levels of stakeholder audiences is key. This position will help support product lines from Pokémon Center to bring excitement to fans through brand understanding, quality, uniqueness, and value for price. The candidate will be expected to fully immerse themself in the Pokémon brand.
- FLSA Classification (US Only): Exempt
- People Manager: No
What you’ll do
- Own Merchandise Development-specific tasks on project management tools.
- Work collaboratively with Pokémon Center cross-functional teams (Project Management, Portfolio Management, Approvals, Sourcing and Production, Category Management, E-commerce, Design, Editing, Legal, Marketing, and Logistics) to ensure products are created and delivered in designated timeline.
- Be adaptable to shifting priorities and be vigilant to keep projects moving forward to meet deadlines.
- Be instrumental in generating new concepts to enhance the brand.
- Prepare and present both 2D and 3D materials that make effective concept presentations.
- Cultivate a culture of flexibility, openness, and transparency to promote collaboration across cross-functional teams to increase the likelihood of project success.
- Successfully evolve a concept through initial ideation, refinement, prototype execution and turn over packages to development teams.
- Keep up-to-date of developments in design applications and new techniques.
- Find and utilize industry data and pop-culture trends to back up product type and concept directions.
- Collaborate with internal teams to help category analysis and make strategic recommendations for product lines.
What you’ll bring
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of relevant professional experience or a demonstrated equivalent level of expertise, preferably in the retail/entertainment industry with a focus on physical and e-commerce retail environments.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience managing the creative direction of projects or products. Knowledge/understanding of hardlines and softlines and other branded merchandise including product timelines and print processes on various materials, ideally experience with pet products and event merchandise.
- Autonomy and initiative; displays positive and professional conduct and solution driven.
- Understanding and proactive awareness of pop culture, event merchandise, and the Pokémon world.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or a demonstrated equivalent level of applicable experience.
- Strong, visual, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate a strong design sense and problem-solving skills.
- Proactively observes and gains understanding of the competitive marketplace.
- Familiarity with project tracking software like Esko and WorkFront.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
How you’ll be successful
- Passion for Pokémon: Develops an understanding of the Pokémon brand, the impact it has on our people, culture, business, fans, and communities, and applying that knowledge and passion to everything you do.
- Challenging the Expected: Approaches challenges with curiosity and creativity, embracing the possibility of failure as an opportunity to learn something new, develop innovative ideas, solve complex problems and identify unique opportunities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates integrity and respect by leading with empathy, listening to others, seeking out different perspectives, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and results.
- Dedicated to Quality: Takes ownership to maintain and promote high standards, looks for new ways to learn and improve, and embraces a growth mindset to seek and apply feedback from others in an effort to continuously improve.
- Building Relationships: Develops and strengthens relationships, adopting a “team first” mentality and working collaboratively to solve problems and meet shared goals.
- Delighting Customers: Listens and understands the interests and needs of our customers and stakeholders, making them feel heard and important, and embracing these learnings to continue delivering a unique Pokémon experience.
What to expect
- An employee first culture
- Company events that celebrate the spirit of Pokémon
- Competitive cash-based compensation programs
- Base salary range: For this role, new hires generally start between $102,000 - $120,650. The full range is $102,000 - $152,000. This range is applicable for the labor market where the role is intended to be hired. Final base salary is directly related to each candidates' qualifications and professional experience uniquely.
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you
- Generous paid family leave
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short-term income protection insurance
- US Employees: 401k Employer Matching
- UK/IRE Employees: Pension Employer Contributions
- Fitness reimbursement
- Commuter benefit
- LinkedIn learning
- Comprehensive relocation package
- Hybrid work environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. For roles in the United Kingdom, candidates will need the right to work. In some cases, and for some roles, the Company may be able to arrange a visa. For roles in Ireland, this role requires candidates to have the right to live and work in the Republic of Ireland. However, we welcome applications from all nationalities and may consider supporting an employment permit application, in appropriate and suitable cases.