Get to know The Pokémon Company International
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
Learn more online at corporate.pokemon.com and pokemon.com. And check out Twitter (twitter.com/pokemon), LinkedIn (linkedin.com/company/Pokemon), YouTube (youtube.com/pokemon), and Instagram (instagram.com/pokemon).
Get to know the role
- Job Title: Game Systems Designer
- Job Summary: The Pokémon Company International is seeking an experienced Game Systems Designer to join our in-house Studios team. This role will collaborate with cross-functional teams including UX/UI Designers, Engineering, and Game Producers to contribute to and drive the success of the game. This role will require proven skills in economy design, progression systems, a strong ability in critical thinking and experience in tuning and balancing systems to meet business objectives.
- FLSA Classification (US Only): Exempt
- People Manager: No
What you’ll do
- Create and balance systems focused on economy, progression, and overall gameplay.
- Brainstorming, proposing, and documenting features with a systems mindset.
- Design, optimize, and implement key features that further the overall strategic vision of the product to improve KPIs that align with business goals.
- Create and maintain thorough game design documentation.
- Partner with other disciplines to ensure your designs are delivered to the highest quality.
- Gathering playtest data, both quantitative and qualitative, and aid in coming up with solutions to make the gameplay and systems as fun as possible.
- Conduct competitive analysis to stay ahead of industry trends and incorporate innovative features.
What you’ll bring
- Five (5) to seven (7) years of relevant professional experience or a demonstrated equivalent level of expertise.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Math and analytical skills with a proficiency in Excel.
- Strong understanding of systematic design and ability to conceive and create complex but efficient systems in service of an amazing game experience.
- Demonstrative proof of an open-minded, upbeat, progressive thinker who is flexible, energetic, and driven with the ability to overcome obstacles and challenges with working solutions.
- Experience working on games for multiple platforms.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Working proficiency within the Unity game engine.
How you’ll be successful
- Passion for Pokémon: Develops an understanding of the Pokémon brand, the impact it has on our people, culture, business, fans, and communities, and applying that knowledge and passion to everything you do.
- Challenging the Expected: Approaches challenges with curiosity and creativity, embracing the possibility of failure as an opportunity to learn something new, develop innovative ideas, solve complex problems and identify unique opportunities.
- Integrity and Respect: Demonstrates integrity and respect by leading with empathy, listening to others, seeking out different perspectives, and taking personal responsibility for decisions, actions, and results.
- Dedicated to Quality: Takes ownership to maintain and promote high standards, looks for new ways to learn and improve, and embraces a growth mindset to seek and apply feedback from others in an effort to continuously improve.
- Building Relationships: Develops and strengthens relationships, adopting a “team first” mentality and working collaboratively to solve problems and meet shared goals.
- Delighting Customers: Listens and understands the interests and needs of our customers and stakeholders, making them feel heard and important, and embracing these learnings to continue delivering a unique Pokémon experience.
What to expect
- An employee first culture
- Company events that celebrate the spirit of Pokémon
- Competitive cash-based compensation programs
- Base salary range: For this role, new hires generally start between $102,000.00 - 120,650.00. The full range is $102,000.00 - $152,000.00. This range is applicable for the labor market where the role is intended to be hired. Final base salary is directly related to each candidates' qualifications and professional experience uniquely.
- 100% employer-paid healthcare premiums for you
- Generous paid family leave
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long and short-term income protection insurance
- US Employees: 401k Employer Matching
- UK/IRE Employees: Pension Employer Contributions
- Fitness reimbursement
- Commuter benefit
- LinkedIn learning
- Comprehensive relocation package
- Hybrid work environment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this role. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. For roles in the United Kingdom, candidates will need the right to work. In some cases, and for some roles, the Company may be able to arrange a visa. For roles in Ireland, this role requires candidates to have the right to live and work in the Republic of Ireland. However, we welcome applications from all nationalities and may consider supporting an employment permit application, in appropriate and suitable cases.