Who we are
At Fortis Games we aspire to make great games that bring people together while redefining how game companies work. We believe in building a sense of belonging through our games, their communities, and how we operate and treat each other. Through our game communities, we will create powerful connections and lasting memories. We will foster a culture of diversity, equity and belonging where together our diverse skills, experiences and backgrounds impact the games we make.
We are an early but mighty organization with a leadership team of game industry veterans. There are many opportunities for you to have a big impact on the products we'll be making as well as the overall direction of the company. If you're passionate about tackling difficult problems with direct and thoughtful communication and team first mentality, we may be the right place for you.
About the role
- Utilize your professional 3D Modeling skills in helping to create stylized characters, with a deep understanding of shape language, anatomy, proportion, and character design.
- Unique opportunity, with at times hands-on aspects of the creation of 3D character models while also leading and guiding an external outsourcing team of artists.
- Manage the end-to-end art outsourcing character process, including onboarding and maintaining communication with external art studios.
- Collaborate closely with internal art leads and our art directors to understand project requirements, establish character asset specifications, and communicate these effectively to external partners.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive understanding of the character asset workflow and ensure smooth integration of outsourced assets into the project pipeline.
- Create and implement a cohesive feedback communication pipeline that supports efficient asset delivery, reviews, revisions, and final approvals.
- Proactively identify potential issues or bottlenecks in the outsourcing process and implement effective solutions to ensure timely delivery and adherence to quality standards.
- Develop complete end to end documentation for outsourcing partners for 3D character art creation and maintain documentation to keep up with developing processes and specifications.
- Foster strong and transparent communication channels with external partners, providing clear feedback, guidance, and support throughout the asset creation process.
- Conduct regular performance evaluations of external partners to assess their capabilities, quality, and adherence to project requirements.
- Work with the art directors and art leads to ensure that all characters are visually consistent and meet the project's quality standards.
- Collaborate with Game Director, art leads, design, and production to help plan and accomplish the strategic goals of the 3D Character art team.
- Participate in team meetings and contribute to the overall game development process.
What you’ll achieve
- Manage external art teams to deliver benchmark quality character assets adhering to and translating the overall art direction of the game.
- Build an efficient and scalable art outsourcing pipeline that can provide a foundation for future games shaped by constructive feedback and implemented solutions.
- Consistently high-quality contributions to the creation of visually stunning and immersive mobile game characters.
What you’ll need to be successful
- Expert knowledge of 3D modeling and texturing using software such as ZBrush, Maya/3ds Max/Blender, Photoshop and Substance. Experience with Marmoset Toolbag is a plus.
- Expert skills in leading external teams to create stylized characters, with a deep understanding of shape language, anatomy, proportion, and character design.
- Ability to conceptualize, design and direct the creation of high-quality and visually appealing stylized character designs that meet the artistic vision of the project.
- Strong understanding of rigging and animation principles, software, and pipelines.
- Ability to effectively integrate 3D assets into the Unity game engine, ensuring seamless integration with the overall game design and functionality.
- Mastery of digital sculpting and high-to-low poly workflows.
- Extensive knowledge of mobile optimization techniques and best practices.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Able to effectively collaborate with every department of a game development team (game designers, programmers, tech art, animation, etc.)
- Good understanding of game mechanics related to characters.
- Deep understanding of the production pipeline, with the ability to streamline processes and ensure efficient and effective workflow.
- Commitment to the project and a desire to find the best possible way of inspiring others.
- A natural curiosity and eagerness to learn - we believe this is essential to our ability to stay ahead of the market and value this over years of experience.
- We expect our leaders to continue being students of their craft and the game spaces they’re working in.
- Educated on the latest trends and have a strong perspective on how they relate to our current and future projects.
Why join us
There are many reasons to join us, but here are a few:
- We strongly believe we are changing how games studios operate and at the core of what we do is making great games that create a connected community
We're not just about making Games Where You Belong. We're also about building communities where our people belong. That's why Fortis is a thriving environment that celebrates diversity, embraces inclusivity, and fosters growth.
Build and grow with a seasoned team of accomplished talent who have left an impactful mark in their disciplines, both in and out of gaming
Fortis is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.