Who We Are
MAKE LIFE EPIC
Founded in 1996, Firaxis Games is a world-renowned game development studio with an unwavering mission to “build games that stand the test of time”. The name Firaxis, a fusion of “fiery” and “axis,” communicates the company’s dynamic development process that results in the creation of ground breaking titles with unparalleled gameplay delivered to gamers around the globe. Under the creative direction of industry legend Sid Meier, Firaxis has released dozens of hit games on multiple platforms and is recognized as an industry leader in game development.
We are also a philanthropic studio and offer employees the chance to volunteer with local charities and nonprofits throughout the year. Full-time employees can also take advantage of Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, 401K retirement savings, a wellbeing initiative with the opportunity to earn cash rewards, an Employee Assistance Program, and paid time off and paid holidays
What We Need
The Senior Director of Engineering reports to the Studio Head and is responsible for establishing the studio's technical vision, leading all aspects of the studio's technology development, and managing the studio's engineering department. This person will be the studio's top technology leader and play an integral role in strategic direction, development, and future growth for the studio. The Senior Director of Engineering will partner with other senior leaders to implement scalable technical frameworks and drive continuous improvement.
What You’ll Do
- Drive engineering culture at the studio and evangelize best practices across game franchises
- Oversee franchise TDs to support career growth and team mentorship
- Support cross-project staffing moves and assist in recruiting and hiring practices to balance competing studio and project needs
- Participate in project scoping and staffing to align management structure across projects to ensure success
- Drive studio-level departmental policies and assist TDs with staffing and problem-solving
- Collaborate with cross-functional studio leadership to identify and implement opportunities for technical improvement
- Responsible for the production and maintenance of studio engineering best practices, including shared tools and technology
- Partner with studio TDs to research new technologies to continually improve our game technology
- Maintain oversight of large Architectural decisions being made at the project level (Architectural Review)
What Will Make You A Great Fit
- 10+ years previous work experience in a game programming or management role
- 5+ years previous work experience in a leadership role (proven mentor and lead)
- Proficiency in C++ and object-oriented programming
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience with game engines such as Unreal Engine 4/5
- Experience with multi-threaded programming
- Experience with network (multiplayer) programming
- Ability to visualize 3D domains and solutions
- Good foundation of 3D math concepts and algorithms
- High interest in and motivation to learn new technologies, languages, engines, algorithms or platform technologies
- Ability to offer technical expertise, solution architecture guidance and mentoring (answering questions, offering advice, guidance) to developers on same or related projects.
- Ability to communicate well and work across departments in a professional manner
- Proven ability to create a robust and sustainable technology strategy, and in partnership with TDs, establish an engineering management structure for game franchises.
- Experience in creating processes to identify and develop talent within the Engineering Department, ensuring skills and career development while developing a robust succession plan.
- Successful track record of establishing and managing multi-location development operations as well as experience in leading change management.
- Passion for making and playing games with a mindset for tracking evolutionary challenges.
- A passion for developing next gen games!
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to ensuring that qualified individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform their essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us if you need reasonable accommodation.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com accounts.