HB Studios is a driving force in the creation of sports video games and the studio behind PGA TOUR 2K Golf – presently working on Console and PC. We have an opportunity for a Senior 3D Environment Artist to join our team of developers, creators, and fans, who are passionate about the art and process involved in video game development.
As a Senior 3D Environment Artist, you will work with a team of professionals to build and maintain striking environment art that breathes life into one of the fastest growing sports game series in the industry!
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Art Manager to reach visual bars, authentic realism and assist in developing the asset production pipeline for the department.
- Develop high-quality organic and hard surface assets while collaborating with other artists to ensure work meets expectations set out by the studio.
- Focus as a material artist, creating realistic organic terrain material libraries for various biomes and authoring vegetation assets and 3D terrain.
- Create, upgrade, and maintain the finished materials, vegetation and terrains throughout the life-span of the project.
- Work closely with engineering and art teams to ensure accurate functionality of beautiful and realistic worlds.
- Work with the development team to prioritize and develop procedural assets to streamline art processes, workflows, and pipelines.
- Collaborate with the team during art review sessions to achieve the highest fidelity organic and hard-surfaced assets.
- Provide input to the improvement and evolution of art production methods, tools, and techniques.
- Build positive working relationships and participate in team meetings.
- Document knowledge and workflows for others to learn from.
- Mentor and guide less experienced team members.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Typically 4 to 6+ years of industry experience with a focus on Environment Art.
- Proven experience and skill in authoring assets and experience creating materials with procedural methods, from photogrammetry sources and blending existing materials in Substance Sampler and or Quixel Mixer.
- Proven experience and skill utilising Substance Source and Megascans libraries as well as an ability to author realistic materials from scratch to the same high quality.
- Proven experience and skill using Substance Designer to create realistic materials and generators from scratch.
- Proven experience and skill creating material libraries for terrains in video games.
- Experience in Photogrammetry, capturing and authoring original, self-sourced textures and materials are considered a big plus.
- Knowledge of authoring natural terrain environments and vegetation for video games.
- Knowledge of vegetation and tree growth applicable to realistic assets and terrain splat maps and eager to develop in these areas.
- Proven knowledge of art foundations: form, primary secondary and tertiary read order, silhouette, colour and lighting.
- Proven technical experience working with art tools and programs (i.e. Maya, 3Ds Max, Speedtree and Photoshop).
- Experience with Project Management (Shotgrid, Jira, Confluence) tools.
- Experience with Source Control (Perforce or Git) software.
The position is not as a level artist/designer, set dresser or similar where the artist role is staging an environment. You will be expected to make content from scratch and process it through Unity for someone else to apply it in the game.
If you are interested in joining HB Studios, please apply today with your resume and portfolio. Candidates with portfolios displaying a wealth of various realistic organic biome materials is a plus.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never uses instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews and when emailing, only use 2K.com and hb-studios.com accounts.